It’s the season to get outside, take a break from the pressures of life, and enjoy your home and family.
As you make the most of the weather, however, be aware of a few seasonal safety issues that summer can bring. Look out for these five dangers and don’t let them cloud your summer.
1: Burglaries increase by up to 11 percent in summer
Between longer daylight hours, homeowners going on holiday and more people being outside, summer is a burglar’s favorite season. Research by the DoJ confirms that you’re most likely to be burgled or have something stolen from outside your home during the summer months.
- Pay attention to outdoor security. If you have a security system, make sure that it’s visible to any prowlers who pass by. For tips, see our home security tune-up guide.
- Don’t advertise your travel arrangements on social media. If you take a vacation, it’s better to post it afterwards than to notify a burglar about it in real time.
- Don’t have a security system? Getting one is the smartest crime prevention move you can make. For true peace of mind, pick a system with professional monitoring.
2: Home playground equipment is a factor in 200,000 injuries every year.
While kids are remarkable in their ability to dust off a bump or a bruise, home playground equipment can pose more serious dangers. Take these steps to ensure that things stay fun around your playhouse, swingset or trampoline.
- Give your outdoor play equipment an annual inspection. Check for sharp edges, loose bolts, platforms or guardrails, and clear any tripping hazards.
- Most injuries occur from falls to the ground. Consider installing mulch or rubber mats around your play equipment to lessen the impact of a fall.
- Always keep an eye on small children using outdoor play equipment. If your kids like to slip outside without asking you, a contact sensor on your back door is a wise idea.
3: 48% of swimming pool injuries occur at residential locations
Your pool is a huge source of summer fun, but it comes with new opportunities for kids to slip, trip, or worse. To enjoy your pool safely, think like a lifeguard (a whistle is optional) and set some rules.
- Learn pool safety together and enforce it. Make sure that kids have proper floating devices if they’re new to swimming. And always ensure that a supervising adult is present when children are in the pool.
- To avoid slips and falls on wet surfaces, teach your kids not to run and chase each other around the pool.
- Set ground rules that specify when your pool is off-limits. A fence and gate are essential to keep kids out when you’re not there. For extra awareness, attach a contact sensor to get an alert if the gate is opened. Alarm.com’s smarter video alerts can also help.
4: One-third of burglaries don’t require a break-in.
Not all burglaries are carefully targeted and planned. Many are crimes of opportunity. And there’s no opportunity like an open garage, door or window. As you enjoy your outdoor space, be careful what you leave open.
A good security system is your best friend in preventing unlawful entry. Here’s what to look for when you shop for one:
- A connected garage door opener, controlled from your phone, makes it easy to lock up behind you.
- Geo-services technology can send you an alert if you leave home with your front door or garage unsecured.
- Alarm.com’s Scenes commands give you the ability to secure your entire home with a single touch or a voice-controlled Siri Shortcut.
5: Grills cause more than 10,000 house fires every year
You can laugh off most cooking disasters, but not this one. Always grill at a safe distance from your home, its roof eaves, deck railings and any overhanging branches.
- If you grill with propane, check the gas tank hose for leaks once a year by applying soapy water. If you see bubbles, get your grill serviced.
- If you use charcoal, invest in a chimney starter. Never apply charcoal fluid to a grill that’s already lit, and let your coals cool overnight before you dispose of them.
- Don’t leave your grill unattended, and keep children and pets away from it. Last year, 19,000 people went to the hospital for injuries involving a grill.
Want to keep your home safer this summer?
Shaping up your summer security is easy with Alarm.com technology. Our service providers can quickly outfit your home with state-of-the-art home security technology, including smart locks, video cameras, and professional monitoring for emergencies, with a single smartphone app to control it all.